Peppermint Bark is one of my absolute favorite holiday treats! There is nothing like combining chocolate with mint!
One of my coworkers brought in treats for our team at school today. She was so excited to share with me that along with some desserts she made, she also made some gluten free peppermint bark!
It just amazes me when people go out of their way like that! It’s so thoughtful. She even brought me the recipe so I could double check before eating any.
And boy, did I eat some!
They just have five simple ingredients: dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, candy canes, shortening and peppermint extract.
These delicious treats will satisfy any sweet tooth!
- 2 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 8 large candy canes, chopped/crushed
- 4 tsp shortening, preferably organic (Spectrum Organics is a great brand)
- 4 tsp peppermint extract
- parchment paper
- In a double boiler, or metal bowl resting over hot water, melt the dark chocolate chips with 2 tsp of shortening and 2 tsp of peppermint extract over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Once melted, pour the chocolate onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet and smooth out with a spatula. Slide the cookie sheet into your fridge and allow the dark chocolate layer to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Clean out the bowl and melt the white chocolate chips with 2 tsp of shortening and 2 tsp of peppermint extract, stirring frequently.
- Once the white chocolate is melted, pour over the top of the cooled dark chocolate.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the warm white chocolate topping, pressing any bigger pieces into the chocolate to make sure they stick.
- Cool for at least 45 minutes in the fridge.
- Cut into bite sized pieces. They will store in an airtight container for 7-10 days.
Most peppermint bark recipes should be naturally gluten free because of the ingredients used, but you should always double check each brand you use.
These are so decadent, they will definitely test your self control! I dare you to try and just eat 1 or 2!